When the Daily Mirror interviewed Hova recently, for obvious and lame reasons, questions were more Perez Hilton than Sway. The astute paper was primarily concerned with his future child rearing plans and his recent experience hanging with Coldplay front-man Chris Martin in the Hampton’s, having known him since the invite to the secret Beyonce wedding. You can read the entire piece here, but really it was one quote I found particularly amusing from Jay. When asked what a teenage Jay-Z would have done had he seen Chris Martin walking the streets of Brooklyn, here’s what Hov had to say:
“I would have been, ‘Yo! Who are you? Give me your money.’ You couldn’t have a guy like Chris walking through Marcy. He’d have to get robbed. At best.”
My thoughts on this absurd attempt by Jay-Z appearing hard and repping the hood are the following:
- Why is teenage Jay-Z speaking English, but current Jay-Z talking about teenage Jay sounds like a thug with no education? At best?
- Why would Chris Martin get robbed? Be specific, is it simply the white thing? Because I assure you mad white cats roll through that hood, daily.
- I’ve walked through Marcy on a recent trip to Brooklyn, frankly, it’s uneventful. At best.
- Clearly this was an attempt to displace potential heat on hanging with Chris rather than social commentary about the plight of his old neighborhood.
- The “at best” comment is literally an insinuation that Chris would be lucky to get robbed and not beaten and/or murdered. This type of ideology is exactly the type of shit that right wing demigods use to monger fear and further isolate the black community from genuine progress.
- Jay-Z couldn’t walk through Marcy without getting robbed?